04 January 2009

A NEW YEAR, A NEW LIFE

I saw a commercial on the tube the other night in which an actress, popular in the ‘70’s, gave her testimony. She started out by saying that this was the first New Year’s Day in many years that her resolution was not to loose weight. Then after some clever editing, a new clip came on the screen and the same beautiful woman said this year is the second year; the first clip we was last year’s recording. Her dialog was very emotional and she was choking back tears as she spilled her heart out to the TV audience. Her success, she told, was due to the commercial weight loss program for which she was the celebrity spokesperson the past few years. She spoke with a high level of conviction and persuasion as she promoted the program and urged the viewers to pick up the phone and join right then in order to get the special limited time pricing plan. She said that I, too, could have a new life, and find freedom from my extra pounds by learning and developing better eating habits. I, too, could be transformed into a new person. The way she fanned away at her eyes brought tears to mine.

Here’s the thing: I do feel passion and conviction about my transformation. Yes, I lost a few pounds and feel better, physically. However, the most incredible change isn’t physical; it’s what has happened to my heart that I want give testimony about. I do have a new life! I am a new person! It’s nothing I can take credit for; it’s all because of God. My old life is gone, and a new one has begun [2 Corinthians 5:17]. I’m giddy with excitement; I feel like jumping up and down; singing, and dancing around and around.

With the guidance from God’s word, love and support from new-found brothers and sisters, and close communication with my Savior and my Creator, life is way better than I ever thought it could be. I’ve discovered what joy is. I experience peace regularly. I know why I am still alive, and why I was born in the first place. I’ve gotten an introduction to what I believe God’s will for me is. I accept and embrace the fact that I am not in charge. I am totally at a loss for a way to sufficiently say thanks to God for saving me, for loving me, for choosing me and forgiving me. I’m so glad Jesus doesn’t expect me to repay Him for the sacrifice He made for me; He’s happy to have my heart. I gladly give it all up; my heart, my soul, and my strength, in total surrender and complete submission.

Psalm 32:1-5 [NLT] 1 Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! 2 Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty! 3 When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. 4 Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. 5 Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Els. I'm proud of you and your new life.
    This is a very inspiring post.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete