02 July 2010

Feed The Fire

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:28-29 (New King James Version)

Consuming Fire - Hillsong United/Tim Hughes



To build a fire, you usually start with something light that ignites easily, like twigs, pine needles, or even a wad of newspaper. Then when the flames get going, you start adding the bigger pieces that need more than just a match to ignite. These pieces will burn a little longer making enough heat from the flames to ignite even larger pieces. You continually add larger pieces as you go along. Once you have a nice bed of coals, your fire is hot enough to support a log. Of course, the higher you build your stack, the hotter it burns.

It is helpful to get trusted friends to participate. They can help gather kindling and logs, and then help to build and maintain the fire. They can stand watch on the other sides, adding branches and sticks all around the perimeter. The time of fellowship is an added bonus.

A fire has to be fed. We must add logs and branches to either make it increase, or just enough branches to maintain it. We can throw on a few twigs here and there for a quick flash, or so little that there is only barely any heat at all. If we neglect to feed it, it quickly dies down to just a few smoldering embers. If we neglect to keep the fire hot, high, and strong, it will go out when the rains come.

A bed of coals is vital to a fire. The coals can go unattended for quite a while, sometimes even overnight. As long as we have just a few smoldering embers, we can rebuild the fire by feeding it.

I relate this scenario to my journey with the Lord. The more I read His word, the hotter my fire for Him gets. I started out with small, easy to understand verses that flared up His fire in my heart. Everyday, I feed His fire to make it grow by adding bigger, thicker pieces that increase the heat. Bible study groups and fellowship with others are additional fuel. If I were to slack off, the fire would get smaller and the heat would decrease. I know I have to feed His fire regularly and hardily, always work on building it higher and wider, enlarging the bed of coals, aka my faith, to keep His fire blazing, enduring even the fiercest rain storm that comes along. His fire in my heart is a requirement for my survival, greater than air, and way more than water and food.

Have you neglected the fire in your heart? Take heart, dear friend: As long as there are just a few smoldering embers, you can rebuild it. Start feeding it, and be amazed how quickly it heats up.

Revelation 3:15-17 (New Living Translation)
“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

Psalm 63:1,3 (New Living Translation)
O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment