29 August 2008

Why Do I Worry?

Philippians 4:6-8
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

I heard someone say that worrying is a waste of good imagination. Worrying is a show of faltering faith (I thought up that one myself). What am I worrying about everything for? Have I not cast all my cares unto the Lord, as he invites us to? I ask myself, “then why, oh foolish one, do you take them back?”

I am not saying that I should just ignore what’s going on around me and walk around with my head in the clouds. Yes, there are things that need my attention and require thought. The form of worry that I’m referring to is the type that consumes your thoughts day and night, the kind that you allow to take over your entire being.

What does worrying accomplish? Nothing. It could bring on things in me like
* anxiety / depression
* ulcers / GI distress
* high blood pressure
* eating disorders / weight gain (or loss)
* wrinkles / frowns
* marriage / friendship difficulties

What outcome will be different by my worrying and stressing over it? Not one. God allows difficult events in our lives. No one is exempt. Not even his own son, Jesus, was spared. The good thing is that we don’t have to face these crisis alone. He is there for us, to comfort and strengthen us, and to bring us peace.

Everything happens according to God’s plan for us. He determines if things will go this way or that way. Paul says in Romans 8:28, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”

I’ve decided I’m getting off of the worry train that I’ve been riding around on and climb aboard the faith train. Instead of worrying about things I have no control over, I’m going to give my cares up to God and trust in him; He will take it from there. In Exodus 14, Moses told his anxious and frightened people “don’t be afraid, just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today.” We read in Hebrews 12 that “God is on our side and no one can go up against us.” He will fight for us; we just need to stay calm.

No longer will I let worry interfere with my life. Instead, I will:
* pray about all of my concerns
* give them to God and don’t take them back!
* thank God for His grace, goodness and mercies
* let the Holy Spirit control my life and my mind
* be still and let God fight my battles for me


Romans 8:6 (New International Reader's Version)
"The way a sinful person thinks leads to death. But the mind controlled by the Spirit brings life and peace. "

John 3:20 (The Message)
"For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves."

Psalm 4:1 (New King James Version)
"Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my pray"

No comments:

Post a Comment